The Philippines need more midwives. Because of that, the Department of Health (DOH) will sponsor qualified individuals on the program. The Philippine health agency made the program to increase the chances of surviving infants in the country. The country needs more skilled, competent, and capable midwives. The DOH sees this as an opportunity to lessen neo-natal morbidity and mortality rate in childbirth.
The midwifery is a 2-year scholarship program. A qualified individual can choose any school that offers the course. After graduation, the midwives will be under the Rural Health Midwives or RHMs of the DOH. The agency will also direct them to their respective areas.
Here’s a guide of the program and how to qualify.
DOH Midwifery Scholarship Program Benefits:
- Free lodging allocation
- Book Allowance
- Uniform Allowance
- Transportation Allowance
- Philhealth Insurance
- Free Tuition Fee and Other Fees
- Duty Kit
- Board Review
- Material Fees
- Professional Regulation Commission Examination Fees
- Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital (for NCR residents)
- Naga College Foundation, Inc. Naga City (for Luzon Region residents)
- Tecarro College Foundation, Inc. Davao City (for Mindanao Region residents)
- University of the Philippines (UP) – Manila School of Health Sciences (UPMSHS), Palo, Leyte (for Visayas Region residents)
Application Requirements for DOH Midwifery Scholarship Program:
- Filled-out MSPP Application Form (applicants can get this from the partner midwifery school)
- Original and photocopy of Form 138 – Highschool Report Card
- Original and photocopy of Transcript of Records/TOR
- Original and photocopy of Highschool Diploma
- Three copies of passport-sized photos with name
- Photocopy of Certificate of Good Moral Character
- Long brown envelope
How to Apply DOH Midwifery Scholarship Program:
- Bring all the documents during the application process.
- Go through the screening and selection process by the midwifery school.
- Wait for the approval of the application.
Process for Approval:
- The partner school will endorse the applicant list to the Regional Office of the DOH in the chosen region after application.
- The authorized Regional Office staff will bring the results of the exam for evaluation to the HHRDB. This is the Health Human Resources Development Bureau – the agency responsible for the assessment of the applicants.
- The HHRDB will evaluate the exam.
- The agency will wait for the approval of the Pre-Service Scholarship Program Management Committee.
- The HHRDB will coordinate with the partner school once they approve the candidate.
- The partner school will notify successful applicants and proceed with the enrollment process.
- The partner school will also give their enrolled scholars list to the Regional Office for proper documentation.
- They will also endorse the list to the HHRDB office.
- HHRDB will issue the Department Personnel Order or DPO.
This program started in 2018 under the DOH Resolution No. 112-232 Series of 2007. The Department of Health Executive Committee approved the program.
For interested applicants, you may contact the MSPP Secretariat and look for Dr. Josephine H. Hipolito or Ms. Winselle Joy C. Manalo.
Telephone numbers: (02) 743-1776
Office Location: DOH-HHRDB Office – 2nd Floor, Bldg. 12-A, San Lazaro Compound, Sta. Cruz, Manila
Email address: email@example.com