The International Day of Disabled Persons is celebrated on December 3 every year. In 2006, former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declared that the Philippines should also celebrate the same event.
Approximately 1.57% of the total population in the Philippines comprises the PWDs or person with disability. As stated in the Magna Carta of Disabled Persons “the state is duty-bound to recognize the rights, protect, and support PWDs through various social systems.” This means that anyone who holds a PWD ID issued by the government is entitled to receive the privileges.
A PWD is a person who is differently disabled in terms of social, physical, sensory, and mental impairment. A person with disability is classified as:
- Visual impairment
- Physical/orthopedic disability
- Speech impairment
- Hearing impairment
- Intellectual disability
- Psychosocial disability
How to apply for a PWD ID
- Gather requirements
- Request for a medical abstract
A medical certificate or abstract is one of the documents required to get a PWD ID. You can ask for the medical abstract from a licensed physician or teacher.
- Fill out the registration form
You can get a copy of the PWD registration form through the official website of DOH at pwd.doh.gov.ph. Download the form and print it. Prepare and attach two 1×1 ID photos.
- Submit the documents
After accomplishing the application form and other requirements, submit them to the Persons with Disability Affairs Office in your province or city. You can also renew the PWD ID in this office before it expires.
PWD Privileges and benefits
Upon the issuance of the PWD ID card, the individual will also receive a Person with Disability Purchase Booklet. You can use the ID and booklet when making purchases and other privileges entitled to a person with disability.
The holder can is entitled to VAT exemption and 20% discount in the following:
- recreation centers
- theaters and amusement centers
- purchase of medicines
- medical and dental services including professional and laboratory fees
- domestic travel (air and sea)
- public utility vehicles, skyways, and public railways
Avail 5% discount when purchasing the basic necessities like bread, rice, dried or fresh fish, milk, meat, and other products identified by the Department of Agriculture and Department of Trade and Industry. Likewise, the bearer will also avail 5% discount for purchases of prime commodities that do not belong under the list of the basic commodities. Prime commodities include school supplies, electrical supplies, nipa shingles, light bulb, plyboard, swine and cattle, and many others.
Take note that purchases must not be more than Php1,300 per week to take advantage of the 5% discount.
See also: Pag-IBIG Benefits Members
Other benefits that a PWD ID card may enjoy are the following:
- Educational assistance from nursery to post-tertiary level, technical or vocational education. The PWD can enroll in either a private or public school and must meet the admission requirements
- Avail the same privileges and benefits offered by the SSS, GSIS, and Pag-IBIG
- Protection from non-verbal and verbal vilification and ridicule
- Take the express/priority lanes for PWD in all government and commercial establishments
- A relative looking after the PWD and within the fourth civil degree of affinity or consanguinity can avail the Php25,000 annual income tax deduction
For more information about the benefits and privileges of a PWD ID card holder, you can read the Republic Act 7277 or the Magna Carta for Disabled Persons and the amendments.